Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

Thanksgiving came and we were ready. As I reflect upon that for which I am thankful, the first on the list is Peggy. She is a wonderful, faithful woman who has raised our children and made our home. She is diligent and true to all she holds dear. She has cared for me and nurtured our children. I am grateful that she is the type of woman who, even though she does not like to, makes pie. If I have a question about which course to follow, her response will resonate with rightness. Her counsel is correct. She is fair. I love her and appreciate her goodness.

I am also grateful for my children and their choice of companions. Jeff, Jason, Jenn, and Amy all have chosen well. I am thankful for Michael too, who is in New Zealand on a mission. While he cannot choose his own companions, he works hard anyway.

While I recognize that none of us are perfect, I see that my children are striving to do what is right. I am grateful that the Lord is blessing them with joys as well as providing opportunities to stretch and grow.

I am grateful for home, health, food, and clothes.

I am grateful to live where I can come and go, say and do, think and be, and learn and love as I feel appropriate. I am grateful that I desire to do all of these things in an appropriate fashion (guided by values and vision that come from a divine source).

Imperfection gnaws at me, and I am way far from a polished shaft - I have much to learn and change. I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father, a Savior, and the opportunity to have the Holy Ghost to guide me and direct me, lift me when I falter, and forgive me when I sin.

I am grateful for an understanding of what is right and what is wrong. Although more wrong than right, I am grateful to be able to continue striving to overcome the natural part of me. I am also most grateful that there is a prophet, apostles, scripture, and continuing light to guide me.

I am grateful for the heritage of goodness that I enjoy, and that such an heritage continues to my children and their children.

This is just a fraction of that for which I am thankful, and to God I give my thanks.

No comments: